Wind Loads for Parapets and Overhangs

I’m not sure why wind load calculators are incomplete and do not have parapet and overhang loading included… most buildings that I’ve designed have either overhangs or parapets, and it’s exceedingly rare to run across a building with neither.

While on this topic: it would be nice if you could define your member zones in an individual beam calculator, and clearcalcs autocomplete the appropriate wind pressures based on the total wind tributary area of the member. This is probably the most tedious aspect of working with clearcalcs as it stands (though, to be fair, it’s tedious regardless of program you select)… for a typical member, I often generate “standard” wind calculations, generate parapet/overhang pressures separately outside clear calcs, then re-generate them a couple more times for larger tributary members…

1 Like

Hello MathGuy,

Thank you for your detailed feedback! We really appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your thoughts. As a smaller company, we continuously face the challenge of balancing development priorities, and while we may not always be able to implement new features as quickly as we’d like, we truly value the enthusiasm and input from users like you, it helps us grow and improve.

I’ve added your suggestions regarding parapet and overhang loading in the wind load calculators, as well as the idea of auto-completing wind pressures based on member zones, to our list of potential enhancements. We understand how tedious these calculations can be, and we’re always looking for ways to streamline the process.

Thanks again for your feedback, and please keep sharing your thoughts, we’re here to listen and improve.

Best regards,
Juan Pablo

Thanks for adding it to the queue. Adding parapet/overhang to C&C calculators should be pretty simple, so I’d start with that one, for sure.

The other idea is not so simple, but sure would be handy, and would set you guys a long way apart from your competition.